Mark Hopkins Hotel Press Conference (San Francisco, USA) ·· incomplete
- ?? November 1959
- [Mobile/Printer friendly format]
- No Internet sources
- Categories: Aga Khan IV ·· AKDN & its Forerunners ·· Education ·· Healthcare ·· Incomplete ·· Ismailis ·· Published ·· Remarks (Press) ·· Research & New Knowledge ·· Speeches II (book) ·· United States
INCOMPLETE: We regret that from this interview, only limited portions made public by the reporter are available below. We would be very grateful if any of our readers who may have the complete transcript would kindly share it with us. Please click here for information on making submissions to NanoWisdoms; we thank you for your assistance.
At a press conference at the Mark Hopkins Hotel, His Royal Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan, told how much he wants success for the African Research Foundation, to which he has lent his enormous prestige as honorary chairman.
He said the Foundation needs $2.5 million beyond more than $1 million he has pledged to its program. He told how its first project would be research for a cure of Cancer. And he said the Foundation will work closely with Dr. Albert Schweitzer in French Equatorial Africa.
He spoke proudly about His Highness the Aga Khan Platinum Jubilee Hospital in Nairobi (Kenya) — where the African Research Foundation plans to conduct research on peculiar types of cancer found in that region.
He was especially enthusiastic about a medical insurance plan he has started there.
“Each member pays about $10 a year (he said). He gets 66 days of free hospital treatment.
The Aga Khan said he hopes that by early 1961 all his Moslem schools in British East Africa will give “the higher school certificate” and that by late 1961 every Ismaili family there will have its own home.
Wearing a double-breasted dark blue suit and a discreetly-patterned dark tie, the young ruler faced reporters, seated between the two medical doctors who head the African Research Foundation.
- Speeches II, Shia Imami Ismaili Association for Africa, 1964, pp. 19
[Text verified and/or corrected from this source by NanoWisdoms]
POSSIBLY RELATED READINGS (GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY)
- Ibn Zuhr Building for Oncology Services, Aga Khan University, Opening Ceremony (Karachi, Pakistan) ·· (2 December 2005)
- Heart and Cancer Centre Opening Ceremony, Aga Khan University Hospital (Nairobi, Kenya) ·· (25 July 2011)
- Aga Khan Hospital Expansion, Second Phase Launch (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania) ·· (18 March 2005)
- Faculty of Health Sciences of the Aga Khan University Inauguration Ceremony (Nairobi, Kenya) ·· (13 August 2007)
- French Medical Institute for Children Inauguration (Kabul, Afghanistan) ·· (8 April 2006)